Sunday, October 09, 2005

Domingo - Djuna Barnes

“She stayed with me last night.
Muffin [Peter Neagoe, Djuna's current lover] had been with me in the afternoon, and I lay in bed looking across at her lying in the other, and I had the strangest feelings. Muffin seemed, for the first time, to be nobody and my lover (the only reality and the untouchable and now unclaimable) seemed to be her, sleeping in that other bed. Not that I could do anything about her anymore (or she about me) but she was that terrible past reality, over which any new life can only come, as a person marching up and over the high mound of a grave… But I went over in my mind my feelings for him, and just the fact of her sleeping body across the room seemed to kill him like a powerful disinfectant.

I have had my great love, there will never be another.”

(Carta de Djuna Barnes a Emily Coleman, en “Djuna”, de Phillip Herring).

2 comments:

Elisa de Cremona said...

ups...
quedo abosorta ante tales palabras.
un saludo

Francisca Westphal said...

no entiendo mucho inglés, asi es que solo puedo saludarte...